The Parastep I™ System comes from the medical engineering sciences known as neuroprosthetics. The Parastep I™ System is a microcomputer controlled functional neuromuscular stimulation (FNS) system that enables independent, unbraced ambulation (i.e., standing and walking) by people with a spinal cord injury.
The Parastep is a non-invasive system and consists of the following components:
- a microcomputer controlled neuromuscular stimulation unit
- a battery activated power pack with recharger
- the Paratester, a unit for pretesting main system operation and electrode cables
- surface applied skin electrodes
- power and electrodes cables
- a control and stability walker with finger activated control switches.